Friday, February 20, 2009

Red Roses

I'm feeling cozy about roses. I love roses. Red ones, especially. Particularly on items like fabrics and dishes. For fresh roses, yellow is my favorite. I found a beautiful piece of fabric on the clearance rack at Walmart today. It's three quarters of a yard for $1.20. I was thrilled. They wrap up the remnants so tightly that you really cannot get a good idea of what you're getting, but I could glimpse a red rose and the price tag convinced me I had a good deal. Isn't this fabric beautiful?

Now I just need to decide what to do with it. I'm thinking a pillow would be nice, maybe even two with coordinating fabrics on the back. I'm not a great seamstress, though, but could a pillow be that hard to make? I think it might be fun. I could really go all out like Magnolia Pearlish. I'm open to suggestions.

A couple of years ago, Rachel and I took a road trip to visit dear friends of ours that moved to Gastonia, North Carolina. While there, my friend, Margaret, took us to Hobby Lobby. Good thing there is not one of those stores by me, as I could do some serious damage there. I bought this accent lamp and small plate. I don't remember the prices, but I do know they were bargains. The larger rose plate I got at my local Kirklands.

This silk flower arrangement is also from Kirklands. Do you have Kirklands near you? It kind of reminds me of Bombay, but with better prices. This arrangement is small, probably only about 10"high and cost $6.00.

Rachel gave me these chocolate red roses. They're too pretty to eat.

My sister, Carol, gave me the rose below for my 50th birthday. I hope its petals never whither.

I hope everyone has a great weekend. It's always such fun on Monday's to read about everyone's weekend adventures of creating, arranging, treasure hunting and enjoying. I'm off to make mine a memorable one! Hope you do too!!

4 comments:

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Joyce!
LOVE the rose fabric and what a fabulous price! It's not hard making pillows. You can do it! I like the idea of a coordinating fabric for the backs to make 2 pillows. You could use a stripe or a small simple print for the backs. Be sure to show us what you do.

Big hugs, sherry

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I adore that fabric. It would make gorgeous pillows. Be sure to let us see what you do with it. ♥

said...

Joyce, your fabric is gorgeous! You're making ME feel cozy about roses now too!

Kay said...

Oh, me, too! Me, too! I love roses! I have a Walmart close by. I shall have to go by and see what kind of fabrics they have so that I can start collecting them for any projects I might want to start...now that I have a sewing machine again.
:-)