Sunday, November 9, 2008

Simply Sunday

When I was a little girl, I always thought my dad could do anything. Don't most little girls think like that? No matter what question you asked my dad, he always knew the answer. He always did the neatest things. I would like to share with you one of the really cool things he did all the time at my childhood home.


My dad was an electrical contractor. He could fix anything around the house, but he was a real pro when it came to anything electrical. My mother always hated wires hanging from lamps. My dad would take a little cafe rod, like this one below.

He would very tightly wrap the lamp cord around the curtain rod, like this.

And this is how it would look when you took it off the curtain rod.


Doesn't this look nicer than a long cord hanging all over the floor? Thanks Dad!!

I went back to Home Goods today to get the lobster ornament that matched the crab I got last night. Rachel tells me it's not a lobster, but a yucky scorpion. It is gross, but it still looks good with the crab.

Of course I had to browse a little more as I had some time to kill. Poor me!!!! It was just heart-wrenching to drag myself throughout the store looking for more treasures!!

I bought a very pretty white feather-type Christmas tree at JC Penney's a few weeks ago. I told Rachel I wanted to decorate it with all tropical ornaments. These little fish will look very pretty on that white tree.


I also picked up two packages of this garland. I think this will look nice also.


I want to decorate this little tree (I think it's 36 inches) in Key West colors - pink, lavender, lime, turquoise, yellow. We already have a lot of tropical ornaments, so it will be fun to pull everything out and see what's there. I think I'll put the crab and scorpion under the tree along with anything else I can find along that line.

Our home is small, but we still put several trees up for Christmas. The traditional family tree with lots of memories goes in the living room. The tropical tree will go in the dining room. Rachel has a purple tree for her room and I have a Victorian tree for my room. I will share all of them with you when we put them up right after Thanksgiving.

I also found this pretty tray at Home Goods today. I just love it, but it will make a wonderful gift for my mother-in-law. This is just her style and I know she will be very pleased with it.


I had a fun day today, though I never did get around to revamping my curio cabinet. It was a gorgeous day and I wanted to enjoy it. Hope everyone had a great weekend!!

8 comments:

Kay said...

You are putting me in such a holiday mood!

Sandy said...

I don't think your lobster is a scorpion, it would have a tail that curls wouldn't it? I love the idea about the cord; I have got to try that. I'm looking forward to seeing that little white tree! All those decorations; I look forward to all your creativity!

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Joyce!
I love the cord curl your dad taught you!! What an ingenious idea! I felt the same way about my dad, he was so wise and sweet. He's been gone over 30 yrs and I still cry for him at times.
I'm so excited about your tropical tree! It's going to be so cute and colorful. The ornaments you found are adorable. That's definately some kind of sea creature, you can tell by the long antenna! I love feather trees and have been looking for one for some time. Can't wait to see yours!
Could you adopt me? I think that tray would look fabulous at me house too!! LOL
big Hugs, Sherry

Gratitude Gal said...

I love the cord curl idea as well.
Your ornament looks like a crawfish to me, not a scorpion.
I think they look fabulous together no matter what you call them! I can't wait to see the tropical tree.

Jo, a retired teacher said...

I, too, am looking forward to the pictures of your trees. For the past several years, I have done almost no holiday decorating. It seemed so useless because we always go to our sons' houses. Christmas needs children.

You do make me want to do a little something. I'm thinking now.

Mo..."Mo's Cottage" said...

I love the idea your dad had with the cords....I'm going to try that....Don't you just love Home Goods.....you sure did find some great things...I like your little fish.... so cute....I think if we had a Home Goods closer I would go every week...they have the best stuff.....Can not wait to see all your Christmas trees up.....What a great idea to put your crab and lobster under the tree....(I think it looks like a lobster)
Have a great day...
Hugs,
Mo :-)
Hugs,
Mo :-)

Her Glitter Life said...

Wow! that was the fantastic idea. I would love to try them. check my blog too: http://filipinalivingchicago.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

LOL! That is SOOOOO a Lobster! I've lived in the dessert where there are scorpions and they have an curly tail with their stinger that curves up and around their back! I currently live where you can get live lobsters at the store and that is SOOOOO a lobster and yes, it's the perfect companion to the crab, LOL!