Monday, March 22, 2010

Creativity 101

Sunday is my favorite day of the week and I totally enjoyed myself. I had both my ATC Club meeting and the first gathering of our Altered Book Club. Life has been a bit crazy for my family for the past two months and I found myself scurrying to pull the creativity out of my brain and get it onto paper.


The theme this month for our ATC's was "Owls". I used twinkling H2o's for the first time and truly loved working with them!

For our Altered Book Club, we each had to select a theme for our book. I chose "Words". We all have words that hold meaning to us, whether it be a quote, a Bible verse or perhaps even a single word like family, memories or love. I have several quotes that hold special meaning to me, one which I made as part of my two page spread.

When I graduated 8th grade, my mom wrote in my yearbook, "To Thine Own Self Be True". Those words did not hold a lot of meaning to me at 13 years of age, but as I travelled further along life's byways, those words have become my motto. My spread included a picture of my childhood home with the words "Message to my Daughter" and my favorite quote from my mother on the right.

We needed to include a page introducing our theme along with a brief description of our rules, wants and desires.

I also included little pockets with blank tags for contributors to leave their "calling card".

I had so much fun putting this together and was a little disappointed today when more than half of the participants weren't prepared and the actual exchange had to be put off until next month. I will spend these next weeks redoing my cover as it wasn't just quite right. I also plan to do another two page spread with more of my favorite words as it brings me great pleasure to work in this book.

Next month's ATC theme is "Time". I will certainly enjoy creating my vision of time . . . something there never seems to be enough of, yet something such fun to fill. Enjoy your time.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Very lovely. I like that you took your mother's words and made your sweet book.

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Nice ATC card and altered book. Sorry that everyone wasn't ready...
Have fun redoing your cover.
Warmly,
Deb :)